Nice product so far but I had a few installation issues. I was limited on where I could install it since the main portion can only be mounted one way/direction. The clips for the opposite side can be mounted 2 different ways (thank goodness!). I mounted mine in a carpeted area where 1 side had a base trim so that made it tricky for me. I like that it comes with the mounting guides on the box, BUT mine were not accurate! I ended up having to drill another set of holes because the mounting guide was slightly off and my gate would not clip in correctly. That was kind of annoying.
Otherwise, it’s working well so far. I like having the clip locks AND lock on the retracting mechanism. I like that it’s retractable and low profile. I will say that it’s a little stiff and kind of hard to close with one hand. Overall not bad and does what I need.
We bought this to keep our 8 month old from falling down our steps.
A few things to keep in mind with this unit
1. The bottom of the fabric / mesh gate will be about two inches off the ground which I thought would be an issue but my little guy just stands up and tries to push on it. Not go under it.
2. The two locks that keep the gate in place have failed. The gate will latch into the hooks but the “locks” now move freely back and forth (we have maybe had it a month or two I also haven’t contacted anyone about it.) I find even tho they don’t latch as long as the reel is locked and the “locks” are at least partly locked they will fully lock when trying to open the gate.
3. If you un latch the gate and try to let it wind up on its own lol it just won’t happen.
4. If you buy this you have have have to always lock the gates reel. If you don’t your little one can push on the mesh unwinding the roll and either fall down stairs or get to whatever’s on the other side.
Other than that the mesh has held up well it works like I would have hoped. I think the only thing I really don’t like is they made the box the install templet. So to mark your holes you have to rip the bad apart. (Side note use a level when installing I tried to eyeball it and now every time I look at it I get annoyed it’s out just a little bit.
Not too difficult to install. You can use one hand, but it takes longer than to just use two hands. My only problem is it is still loose enough for the small dogs to go under even though the screen goes to the ground. Dang.
We use this on our stairwell. There are a lot of installation problems.
1. The directions are very confusing. I’ve been putting together furniture, Legos, etc my entire life and these are some very bad directions.
2. There is absolutely no way you can use this gate with dry walk anchors. You have to pull VERY hard to pull the gate from the base unit to the hooks. I’m hoping the spring tension loosens over time.. but if we had used dry walk anchors.. I am sure it would have ripped out my dry wall. Which brings us to...
3. The screw plates for the base unit are made so that the screws cannot both go into a stud!!! Unless you have double stud you’re using.. it’s almost impossible to angle the screws in so they both get into studs!! I used longer screws into studs for durability.
4. The sucker is HARD to close single handed. Again, I’m hoping the spring tension loosens over tome.
All in all.. I’m glad I bought it because when open, I get access to the full width of the staircase for carrying large items and laundry (unlike a standard baby gate.). We use it to defer the dog from going upstairs and it does its job
I recommend you check your stud placement before purchasing and do not use drywall anchors.
This gate has a really sleek look to it. It fits in well with the minimal design aesthetic we have in our home. It is not only aesthetically pleasing but a really high-quality product too. I bought this with the intention of testing it out and comparing to a few others we bought and honestly this one was above the rest by far. Highly recommend buying it.